The campus of the Brewery Arts Center is a lively multi-generational and multi-cultural art organization dedicated to enhancing the quality of life and have a positive economic impact on the community through the arts. The BAC encompasses 2 city blocks, has 3 performance facilities, the Nevada Artist Association, the Artisan Shop, classes, camps, and artist services.
The future we truly desire
The vision of the Brewery Arts Center is to embrace and grow artists and the artistic community in Carson City, recognizing our responsibility to be a catalyst for economic and educational growth and community collaborations by developing a creative, active and engaged community.
We are a non-profit organization that enriches the quality of life by cultivating arts and culture for all.
VALUES AND BELIEFS
-The arts inspire the human spirit.
-Arts and cultural experiences expand horizons, bring people together in ways that create opportunities for meaningful conversation, challenge assumptions, and ultimately, enrich our daily lives.
-An artistically creative, active and culturally engaged community is essential for the economic growth of any community.
-As the capital city’s arts council, we should be the hub of activity and collaboration.
-Everyone has artistic ability and provide an open and friendly atmosphere from children to professionals to explore that ability.
Resident Organizations and Community Programs
The Brewery Arts Center serves as home to: Wild Horse Children's Theater, Proscenium Players, Inc., High Sierra Swing Dance Club, Rotary Club International, Carson City Classic Cinema Club, BAC Blowhards Improv Troupe, Celtic Music Series, TEDxCarsonCity, 3rd annual Levitt AMP Carson City Concert Series, Nevada Artist Association Gallery, Living Stones Church, Pioneer High School Art Show. We have sustaining partnerships providing arts programming for the Carson City School District because ARTS ARE NOT AN ADD ON.
In 2015, we expanded our services beyond the walls on King Street at begun the "Art in the Park" program bringing daily free art classes to children who may not otherwise have the opportunity every week in their own neighborhood. These program is funded by the Nevada Arts Council The Bessie Minor Swift Foundation, the Dermody Foundation and private citizens of Carson City.
In 2017, due to the generosity of Carson Tahoe Hospital, we are able to utilize the Historic Adam's House, just four blocks North of the main campus for both art classes and for our partnership with KNVC Community Radio.
A BRIEF HISTORY.
Founded in 1975, by a group of artists yearning for a space of their own, these pioneers had a clear vision and spearheaded a grassroots effort and raised $300,000 to purchase the Historic Carson Brewing Building and turn it into a community gathering space for artists. They then proceeded to build an annex for a gallery, art classroom, a black box theater and the Brewery Arts Center (BAC) a Nevada non-profit organization was born. In 2000, the organization purchased the St. Teresa Catholic Church building and converted it into a 250 seat Performance hall and in 2015 was able to close the road to traffic in between the two buildings to create a two city block arts campus complete with facilities for visual arts, theatrical arts, dance and music, and outdoor art to include a Harmony Sculpture Park, two murals, rotating sculptures and in the summer months, an outdoor amphitheater.
The Brewery Arts Center arts education department includes classes in painting, sculpting, drawing, pottery, a chemical darkroom, jewelry making, theater, improvisation, dance, and music. The BAC programs art for 4 area elementary schools and the Juvenile Detention Center. It's acclaimed "Art in the Park" outreach program will enter its forth year in 2018. Art in the Park is a pop-up art classroom which provides free art programming to anyone with a desire all summer long.
The organization is privately funded and the facility provides a home for 17 other non-profit organizations and several dozen visual artists use the various art spaces on every day of the week.
The many collaborators who use the BAC are:
Nevada Artist Association, Wild Horse Children’s Theater, Proscenium Players, Inc., KNVC Community Radio, Sierra Nevada Forums, Rotary Club International, TEDxCarsonCity, High Sierra Swing Dance Club, Improv club, Carson City Classic Cinema Club, Joyful Noise Youth Choir, Carson High School Theater Department, Wired Wednesday Film Club, the Jazz and Beyond Music Festival, Sierra Nevada Ballet, Community Yogi, Carson City School District.
The BAC has one full time staff member and 3 part time staff members, 3 baristas in the cafe and an army of loyal volunteers who make it all possible.
History of the brewery
The site of the Brewery Arts Center is the place where Nevada's longest-operating brewery was established. In 1860, John Wagner, started the brewery during the rush to Virginia City. Business was prospering by 1864, so a new two-story brewery was built in 1865 in the commercial form of Classical Revival, on the corner of Division and King streets, where it stands today. The brewery and a bar were on the main floor and the upper floor served as the Masonic Lodge from 1865 to 1919. The Carson Brewery made steam beer, a bottom-fermenting brew produced without the constant cold temperatures required by lagers. The pure water came from King's Canyon Creek west of town. Hops and barley were mostly imported from California. The brewery delivered barrels, kegs and bottles of beer to local saloons, Comstock tap rooms and other towns around the state. Five kegs a week were also shipped to San Francisco for some Nevada-based customers who would drink no other brand.
The brewery was sold in 1900 to James Raycraft and Frank Golden, who incorporated and changed the name to Carson Brewing Company. In 1910, brew master Fritz Hagmeyer persuaded his brother-in-law, Max Stenz, to purchase the operation. Stenz converted from steam beer to lager in 1913, and labeled his new product Tahoe Beer, "Famous as the Lake." He made several major improvements, including adding a cold storage room and new boiler, and expanding the bottling operation, by bottling soft drinks and mineral water from Carson Hot Springs, as well as packaging artificial ice.
By the 1940s, large brewing companies were buying local beer businesses throughout the country. Arnold Millard, who bought the brewery in 1926 from his father-in-law Stenz, liquidated the business in 1948. After 88 years of continuous operation, this was the end of the longest-running brewery in the state and one of Nevada's oldest businesses. After 1948, the building was the home of the Nevada Appeal newspaper. An exhibit on the history of the Carson Brewing Company is located at the Arts Center. Grants funded by the National Park Service's Historic Preservation Fund helped its restoration. An exhibit on the history of the Carson Brewing Company is located at the Arts Center.